We are often asked how much an engagement ring set with an investment grade diamond will cost. Although we are not investment advisors, nor do we offer investment advice, we do have our fingers on the pulse of this market.
In current market conditions, an investment grade diamond will have the following characteristics:
1) Clarity of VS2 or higher
2) Colors within the range of D-H
3) 1.00+ carat size
4) GIA certification
5) Triple Excellent, very good rating (cut, polish, symmetry)
For many, a diamond of investment grade falls outside the price range for most people. For buyers with budgets under $20k who are looking for investment quality combined with a symbol of love and devotion, we recommend without reservation, diamonds with VS2+ grades, D-H colored diamonds.
For buyers who wish to have a diamond that will serve as a long-term hard asset and increase in value, we suggest considering diamonds with investment grade characteristics as discussed above.
Now more than ever this discussion is becoming a hot topic. According to recent press referenced below, DeBeer’s announced that diamond prices will rise due to demand.
Bloomberg reported in May, 2014, that diamond prices will increase 5% each year.
With this information, we can expect that ALL diamond prices will rise. So, if a diamond with investment grade characteristics is on your horizon, or any diamond for that matter, it may be a good idea to buy before the prices increase to market projections.
So how do you get an investment grade diamond engagement ring?
1) Find a diamond supplier you trust, and usually one who has low overheads. This is often found with online retailers, as they do not incur costs such as leasing a brick-and-mortar location, and associated security and insurance costs.
2) Determine your budget.
3) Ask your diamond supplier to work within your budget to locate a diamond with investment grade characteristics.
4) Find an engagement ring setting. Many beautiful diamond engagement ring settings can be had for under $3k. Often, suppliers with ownership or association with custom ring design houses will offer discounts on the diamond when you purchase the ring too.
Cutting to the chase…
Investment grade diamond options follow. Note: Prices posted September 2014 and are subject to change.
D, Internally Flawless
$26,882 | 1.14 ct., D color, Internally Flawless, Triple Excellent, No Fluorescence, GIA Certified
$16,762 | 1.04 ct., D color, Internally Flawless, Triple Excellent, No Fluorescence, GIA Certified, natural HPHT diamond (Type 2a)
E, Internally Flawless
$17,816 | 1.14 ct., E color, Internally Flawless, Triple Excellent, No Fluorescence, GIA Certified
$16,545 | 1.05 ct., E color, VVS1, Triple Excellent, No Fluorescence, GIA Certified
$89,999 | 4.33 ct., E color, VVS1, Triple Excellent, No Fluorescence, GIA Certified, natural HPHT diamond (Type 2a)
$385 | 18KW Gold Traditional-Style Solitaire
$780 | Platinum Traditional-Style Solitaire
$3,350 | 14KW Gold Engagement Ring. Hand engraved with.76 ctw side diamonds