It doesn’t matter whether you run your own business, are an employee or job seeker, if you market yourself well, you will achieve success. Marketing is about finding your unique abilities and being able to communicate these to others effectively.
You may have heard of the saying “people buy people”, so take the opportunity to let people know why they should promote you, employ you or buy from you. Here are my tips to market yourself effectively:
1. Write down a list of your strengths and skills and use these as selling points when you meet new people. What is unique about you? What sets you apart from anyone else? How can you make sure you market yourself at every opportunity?
2. Develop a succinct message that you can share with others that takes about 10-20 seconds to deliver. In business, this is known as an elevator speech – who you are and what you can do for others. Design and practice your message.
3. Remember that every time you communicate, this is the opportunity to make an impact. Make sure that anything you put in writing, such as a letter or CV is clear, concise and easy to read. And remember to include the strengths you have identified above.
4. You also communicate by what you wear and whether it is appropriate for the occasion. You may wish to research the dress code and give yourself plenty of time to decide what to wear. Choose your outfit wisely with the appropriate accessories, and remember to clean your shoes!
5. Make a great first impression. People tend to make a first impression of you within the first few minutes of meeting you. When you meet new people, use appropriate eye contact, a firm handshake, and smile!
6. Preparation is key. Whether you are going to a networking event or a job interview, it is important to prepare in advance. Plan the journey before you leave, know who you are going to meet and plan what you are going to say.
What do you do to market yourself effectively? Let me know – email me today!