Postcards are one of the oldest direct marketing tools that are still effective today.
In our high tech digital world low tech postcards are still the best, fastest working direct marketing tools ever. If you don’t believe me, check your mailbox. Don’t think the companies that stuff your mailbox are stupid. If they didn’t make big bucks, you wouldn’t get all that mail from the same companies over and over again.
Postcards get noticed.
A well-designed inexpensive postcard campaign with strong call to action copy will keep your company at the top of the mind of customs.
Postcards are cheap.
Postcards when compared to other marketing tools are the cheapest to print than they ever have been. Online printing companies make it easy to find the best value cheap postcards without spending a lot of research time. As a matter of fact, full color postcards are cheaper than two color cards were just a few years ago, so you get more bang for your buck. You can buy 5,000 4.25 X 6 high quality full color postcards for under $160
Postcards are read by almost everyone.
It’s harder not to read an interesting postcard than to avoid reading it. An eye candy design and a compelling offer can catch your eye and it’s difficult not to read it. Nothing else in your mailbox can capture that much attention except a large check from the government. Most junk letters never get opened unless they looks official. People don’t have the time or care to read. Flyers can also have too much to read and they instantly get tossed. On the other hand, postcards are noticed and read because the message requires just a second to decide if you’re interested or not. They don’t have to be unfolded and they don’t waste time with a lot of words.
Postcard campaigns return a high ROI
If you plan on sending only one postcard, you may be wasting your money if you are trying to determine the results.You don’t have to have a huge mailing list to monitor your postcard stats. If you don’t have a lot of money to test the direct mail marketing waters- and what small business does-, you can print wholesale inexpensive postcards in short runs of 100, 250, 500 or 1,000. The trick is to send them every 4-6 weeks to the same list. Each time with a different offer. It’s not the quantity, but the frequency that keeps your brand in front of your customer.
Postcard effectiveness testing is fast and easy.
Use short run postcards to try different ideas and see which ones have the best returns. Once you know what works slowly increase your mailings and keep on checking results. The best value for short run postcards is about $55 for 1,000. You can send as few as 100 cards at a time to spread your mailing cost. Just make sure you change lists.
Postcard printing tips:
1. When buying cheap postcards online, don’t buy the cheapest deal you can find. Cheap looks cheap, feels cheap and can represent your company as cheap. Considering the size of a postcards, the paper stock should be the issue unless you are printing hundreds of thousands. The minimal card stock weight should be a heavy 14 Pt or extra heavy 16 Pt.- either UV or matte coated card stock.
2. If you’re distributing the card through the mail, the address area should NOT be UV coated. UV coating is a liquid laminate that can’t be overprinted with a personalization or address for mailing. There are two solutions for this issue. Order your cards with UV coating one side matte coating one side or pay a little more have your cards printed with spot UV coating so you can decide what is to be glossy. Spot UV coating is an eye candy wow factor effect that will catch attention so your card has a better chance of standing out and getting noticed.
3. Bigger is better when it come to postcards and diamonds. Postcards are available in many sizes. Small 4 X 6 and 4.25 X 6 postcards can be sent at lower postcard postal rates. You’ll save money but lose impact. If you’re going to do it, do it right.
4. Print “SAVE THIS CARD,” you’ll be surprised at how many will then save it. If you say it, they will be it.
5. Be sure to put a time limit on your offer. Add a tracking code so you can identify the mailing you sent out. The offer should be redeemable only with that code. Customers like to receive codes because they are identified as being special.
It doesn’t matter if you have a small local pizza takeout or you’re selling tours to Europe nationally, the key is to make sure you have a “can’t refuse” offer and your card looks impressive. You don’t have to spend much money to get a postcard campaign going. Plan to send six different postcards in 6 months and you will make money fast and easy once you get your program started. Remember it takes money to make money and cheap but high quality postcard campaigns will make you money and a high return on what you have spent.